Brackets are special orthodontic constructions which are used for the correction of teeth alignment and bite. Straight teeth are a guarantee not only of a beautiful smile but also of health. Incorrect tooth placement leads to a bite violation, premature destruction of fillings and crowns, increased erasability of enamel and other unpleasant consequences. Today, brackets are the traditional method of teeth alignment. Modern braces don’t attract attention as they used to, and are suitable for both teenagers and adults.
Types of brackets by location
Prior to start the treatment a doctor defines which bracket system is the most effective in each individual case. There are different types of brackets that can be fixed on the inside or outside of the teeth:
- Brackets adjacent to the cheek – are fixed on the outside and are very effective, easy to maintain and adjust, are relatively low cost;
- lingual brackets – are fixed on the inside of the teeth: they are invisible but may affect articulation and cost more.
Peculiarities of brackets
Brackets may be produced from different materials that affect their look and specifications:
- metal brackets are a highly effective treatment, but will be visually noticeable;
- transparent plastic bracket system – less visible, but requires careful maintenance;
- brackets made of transparent ceramics or artificial sapphire – not susceptible to staining, reliable and effective.
Stages of bite correction with the help of brackets
- diagnostic: photodiagnostics, panoramic image, teleroentgenogram, a treatment plan is drawn up with the choice of the most effective and comfortable bracket system;
- if necessary, caries treatment, professional teeth cleaning, and other procedures are carried out;
- for the manufacture of construction an impression of a jaw is made;
- installation of brackets and periodic activation according to a schedule drawn up by an orthodontist;
- control and consolidation of the results obtained by installing retainers.