Experts recommend the necessary dental treatment to be held at the stage of planning a pregnancy, but if certain problems appear during this period, then you should not postpone the visit to the doctor. Any diseases of the oral cavity, pain, caries, bleeding gums or anything else are the source of infection and can cause an inflammatory process that can seriously affect not only the future mother’s health but also the health of the baby.
It is known that dental treatment during pregnancy can harm both the patient and her baby: in addition to generally accepted contraindications, this is also due to the type of procedures performed and the medication used, or the individual characteristics of the health of the expectant mother. In any case, it is very important to know which dental procedures are safe and acceptable for pregnant women, and which types of treatment are better to postpone for later.
For example, in the case of necessary dental treatment with anesthesia, the dentist provides a competent selection of anesthesia: it is important to conduct effective anesthesia (after all, stress or neurogenic shock from treatment during pregnancy is unacceptable for the patient), but the dentist should also choose the safest medication for the expectant mother and her baby.
For a thorough diagnostics in modern dentistry, special digital X-ray machines are used: the use of such equipment allows for local and highly targeted diagnostics (a study in the range of 2–3 cm), while the radiation doses are minimal.
In the process of dental treatment of pregnant women, it is not permitted to use medicines that contain arsenic, as this component has a teratogenic effect and can harm the unborn baby. The use of anesthetics is permissible only if necessary. For example, here are the features of some medicines used for pain relief:
Ultracain. This anesthetic is characterized by low toxicity, and the active substances contained in its composition penetrate the placental barrier to a minimum. Ultracain almost does not discharge into breast milk. If you need to use this anesthetic, it is recommended to use Ultracain D-C. If, however, dental treatment with anesthesia is carried out during breastfeeding, there is no need to interrupt breastfeeding due to the use of this anesthetic since the doses of its discharge into breast milk are not clinically significant.
Ubestisin is also characterized by a low degree of toxicity. The penetration of its active substances through the placental barrier is minimal, and there is no characteristic excretion into breast milk, therefore, there is no need to interrupt breastfeeding.
Septanest. Today there is no evidence that this medicine is toxic, but it is recommended to exclude its use during pregnancy and lactation since it is characterized by penetration through the placental barrier.
In the case of inflammatory processes, dental treatment may be accompanied by the admission of some antibiotics. If there is an urgent need for such treatment during pregnancy, consultation with the gynecologist (or the patient’s physician) is necessary.
Dental diseases often occur due to the appearance of an infection in the oral cavity. Therefore, it is recommended to visit the dentist and hygienist for a routine examination in the early period of pregnancy. Thus, the doctor will be able to detect the existing dental caries timely, and will also monitor the condition of your teeth throughout the entire period of pregnancy. Also, the dentist will advise you on possible risk factors that may arise in your individual case, and on the necessary precautions.
During pregnancy, it is not recommended to carry out the teeth whitening procedure, as there are currently no confirmed studies that refute (or confirm) the negative effects associated with the absorption of a small amount of bleaching agent.
One of the most important conditions for dental treatment during pregnancy is the absence of fear. Do not be afraid of the examination by a dentist: go to the doctor you trust and take care of your health and the health of your future baby.
Dentists of Avanto clinics have extensive experience in providing dental care for pregnant women. We will conduct the most effective and painless treatment in a comfortable environment for the future mother. And our hygienists will select individual means for proper oral hygiene at home. Trust the professionals!
1. Метро - Дворец Украина, пешком в сторону ул. Предславинской, левый поворот в Новопечерский переулок. Клиника расположена в комплексе Престиж Холл, вход- со стороны ул. Анри Барбюса.
2. Автомобиль - заезд к входу клиники осуществляется с ул. Ионна Павла II (бывшая Патриса Лумумбы), поворот на ул. Анри Барбюса.
1. By Metro – Kontraktova Ploshcha, walk on the street Kostiantynivska towards “Zhovten” cinema. The entrance to “cinematographic” arche.
2. By car – you can get to the central entrance of the clinic from Kostiantynivska St. through “cinematographic” arche. It is also possible to park a car in the parking lot near the square on the street Yaroslavska.
1. By Metro – Pecherska, walk on the street Lasya Ukrainka to the side of The Ivan Bohun Military High School. The building where the clinic is placed is located behind the CEC building and has a wave-shaped roof.
2. By car – the first arrival to the central entrance of the clinic is possible from Lesya Ukrainka St. behind The Ivan Bohun Military High School. Also it is possible to get there from the side of Staronavodnytska St., the turn is near the pointer of TSARSKY sport club. The building where the clinic is placed has a wave-shaped roof.