The concept of “nursing bottle caries” is not academic, but it is often used in the practice of a pediatric dentist. Visually, the symptoms of this phenomenon are manifested in the form of yellow, or even brown spots on the surface of the primary teeth at the age of 1 to 3-4 years. The etymology of this name is derived from the natural causes of its occurrence: feeding the baby before bedtime (or in the middle of the night) from a bottle. In particular, if we are talking about feeding formulas, syrups, juices and cereals, which contain lactose, or it can be milk or any sweet baby food. Since babies cannot follow oral hygiene as thoroughly as adults, any food debris, even the most “harmless,” are excellent microflora for the development of pathogenic organisms in the oral cavity. After all, the baby’s body is not yet fully strengthened to develop sufficient immunity.
As a rule, the symptoms of “nursing bottle caries” appear on the anterior incisor teeth and proximal grinders (on the average, the lesion is about 4-6 teeth). Primary teeth at first acquire an unaesthetic appearance (change of color of enamel), and then begin to decay.
The traditional misconception of young parents is the thought that “these are milk teeth,” but such a disease and decay of milk teeth will negatively affect the growth of permanent teeth. Therefore, in case of appearance of any external signs of primary teeth diseases, you should immediately contact a qualified pediatric dentist.
Nursing bottle caries, as a rule, manifests itself in the neck area of teeth on the upper incisors and canine teeth. This is due to the fact that during sucking the tongue protects and cleans the lower teeth, while the “sweet environment” on the upper central teeth remains unprotected and the “suitable” medium for the occurrence of pathogenic microflora. If proper cleaning of primary teeth is not carried out, the process of decay and the appearance of a porous surface occur.
The accumulation of dental plaque and the special acidity of the bacterial environment continue to destroy the enamel, which provokes a visual discoloration and the appearance of roughness. In the future, we can observe the formation of brown spots and carious cavities. Thus, we see the deformation of primary teeth near the gums and along the bottom edge. Not only night feeding with feeding formulas leads to such consequences, but also breastfeeding: since breast milk also contains sugar and at night the secretion of saliva decreases. Moreover, after feeding at this time of day, the necessary cleaning is not performed.
If you notice a visual change in the condition of the enamel of primary teeth (abrasion and darkening, discoloration), you should immediately contact a pediatric dentist. There are different degrees of development of nursing bottle caries, and accordingly, methods of dental treatment:
Experts of Avanto clinics advise young parents to pay attention to any visual changes in the primary teeth of babies. After all, it is important to realize that problems with primary teeth, including nursing bottle caries, can negatively affect the growth of permanent teeth. It can lead to abnormal occlusion in the future, the damage to the teeth, etc. Such situations not only bring a lot of uncomfortable sensations and complexes but also provoke dental diseases that sooner or later will require to be treated. Therefore, the pediatric dentists of Avanto clinics guarantee the most comfortable and safe conditions for treating young patients, as well as a beautiful smile from an early age.
1. By Metro – Palace Ukraine, walk to the side of Predslavynska St., left turn into Novopecherskyi Lane. The clinic is placed in Prestige Hall residential complex, the entrance is from the side of Anri Barbus St.
2. By car – you can get to the central entrance to the clinic from Ionna Pavla II St. (the former – Patrisa Lumumby St.), turn into Anri Barbus St.
1. By Metro – Kontraktova Ploshcha, walk on the street Kostiantynivska towards “Zhovten” cinema. The entrance to “cinematographic” arche.
2. By car – you can get to the central entrance of the clinic from Kostiantynivska St. through “cinematographic” arche. It is also possible to park a car in the parking lot near the square on the street Yaroslavska.
1. By Metro – Pecherska, walk on the street Lasya Ukrainka to the side of The Ivan Bohun Military High School. The building where the clinic is placed is located behind the CEC building and has a wave-shaped roof.
2. By car – the first arrival to the central entrance of the clinic is possible from Lesya Ukrainka St. behind The Ivan Bohun Military High School. Also it is possible to get there from the side of Staronavodnytska St., the turn is near the pointer of TSARSKY sport club. The building where the clinic is placed has a wave-shaped roof.