Sleep Dentistry for adults is the use of a medication sleep during the performance of different dental manipulations. Nowadays dental treatment is performed in comfort conditions for the patient since a lot of techniques which are painless or if needed the anesthesia is used. Sometimes local anesthesia just isn`t enough. In such cases, Sleep Dentistry (or Sedation Dentistry) can be performed. Medication sleep and anesthesia are not the same things. The doctor uses sedatives after which the patient immerses in a relaxed state that can be compared with sleeping state. Unlike usual anesthesia, the sedation is not anesthesia in itself, so local anesthesia is important in order to provide complete painlessness of treatment.
When sleep dentistry is needed?
Sleep dentistry is possible only on doctor’s recommendation, and it is a great decision in the following situations:
- For patients with dentophobia (very strong fear of dental treatment);
- If the patient has a very low pain limit;
- For children under 4 years of age;
- For adults and children with expressed gagging;
- In case of allergy to painkillers;
- If complex and long-term treatment is needed (for example, extraction of several teeth at once);
- For patients with heart diseases, high pressure and other physical illness.
Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
- Safety: only non-narcotic medicine is used, it has no side effects like headaches, dizziness, confused mental state;
- The sedatives are effective in 2 minutes and excreted after 2 hours;
- Lack of stress during dental treatment;
- The ability to perform complex treatment in one session.
We remind that sedation may be contraindicated in some patients, so the dentist may appoint a series of additional tests and recommend a checkup of relevant specialists.
Sleep dentistry for grown-ups in Avanto clinics
In Avanto clinics, we provide dental treatment both for grown-ups and little patients. We use only certified and safe sedatives. The sedation is performed under the close supervision of anesthetists of the Medical Center Dobrobut. Dedicated experts monitor the patient’s condition throughout the treatment using high-precision diagnostic equipment.