There are many diseases of the temporomandibular joint. These may be congenital pathologies, inflammatory processes (osteoarthritis, osteoarthrosis, etc.) and functional damage (for example, dislocation and other injuries). The diseases of the TMJ may be either characterized with pronounced external symptoms or a certain discomfort when the patient does not know what exactly is bothering him/her. For example, sudden headaches, ear buzzing or ear pain, bruxism, and many other symptoms can signal problems with TMJ. For an accurate diagnosis and treatment planning in such situations, not only the consultation with the neurologist or orthopedist may be necessary, but also the direct participation of dentists. Today, there are special techniques and devices that are used in the complex treatment of TMJ.
Splint (or occlusal splint) is used to treat a group of muscles and ligaments in the maxillofacial area. Splints are used to normalize the anatomical configuration, to restore the functional activity of the TMJ, to relax certain ligaments and muscles, in order to reduce the mobility of teeth, etc. A splint is made of a soft Bioplast plate (up to 2-3 mm thick) and is a single-jaw device of two-jaw action. On the palatal surface in the frontal position, an overlay is made in the constructive occlusion, which fixes the central ratio of the upper jaw and the lower jaw.
The phenomenon of bruxism is very unpleasant and dangerous to the condition of your teeth. Bruxism is a specific “grinding of teeth”, which, as a rule, manifests itself during sleep, can last for several minutes and periodically repeat throughout the night. Today there is no exact theory about the causes of this phenomenon. But research confirms the view that bruxism is provoked by stress, deep depression, nervous tension, etc. Another reason is problems with spine and inflammatory processes in the paravertebral muscles. To determine the cause and plan the treatment of this disease, you will also need to consult a group of specialists (a neurologist, an orthopedic surgeon, a psychologist), including a dentist. Indeed, bruxism can be caused by diseases of the TMJ, but also it is important to maintain the health of the teeth. “Grinding of teeth” leads to mechanical damage to the tooth enamel, dental caries, and inflammation in periodontal tissues.
There is a reciprocal functional interaction between occlusion, periodontal disease, TMJ, musculature, and the central nervous system. Psychological stress that leads to the neuromuscular tension of the masticatory muscles can increase local functional disorders. Severe stress is an etiological factor in the development of frontal lateral bruxism. In such situations, a vicious circle is created, which can be interrupted by the use of an occlusion bite splint to treat bruxism. This is an individual device made using modern hypoallergenic materials that are worn on the teeth. Occlusal bite splints can be soft and hard (from 1 mm to 3 mm thick). Note that occlusal bite splints do not eliminate the cause of bruxism and are not the only method for the treatment of this disease. Splints are used as part of the complex treatment of bruxism.
Dentists of Avanto clinics recommend you to pay attention to any uncomfortable feelings and consult your doctor timely. Diseases of the TMJ may not be directly related to the field of dentistry, but at the same time require complex treatment with the involvement of many specialists. Occlusal bite splints for the treatment of TMJ are part of general therapy and help you maintain healthy teeth. Avanto clinics provide a high-precision diagnosis of T-SCAN occlusion and a number of necessary studies for diagnosis. We care about every patient.
1. By Metro – Palace Ukraine, walk to the side of Predslavynska St., left turn into Novopecherskyi Lane. The clinic is placed in Prestige Hall residential complex, the entrance is from the side of Anri Barbus St.
2. By car – you can get to the central entrance to the clinic from Ionna Pavla II St. (the former – Patrisa Lumumby St.), turn into Anri Barbus St.
1. By Metro – Kontraktova Ploshcha, walk on the street Kostiantynivska towards “Zhovten” cinema. The entrance to “cinematographic” arche.
2. By car – you can get to the central entrance of the clinic from Kostiantynivska St. through “cinematographic” arche. It is also possible to park a car in the parking lot near the square on the street Yaroslavska.
1. By Metro – Pecherska, walk on the street Lasya Ukrainka to the side of The Ivan Bohun Military High School. The building where the clinic is placed is located behind the CEC building and has a wave-shaped roof.
2. By car – the first arrival to the central entrance of the clinic is possible from Lesya Ukrainka St. behind The Ivan Bohun Military High School. Also it is possible to get there from the side of Staronavodnytska St., the turn is near the pointer of TSARSKY sport club. The building where the clinic is placed has a wave-shaped roof.